I found a great article by Elizabeth Kucinich, policy director at the Center for Food Safety and wife of former congressman and presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich. They are both vegan and animal rights activists.
The article We Can Reverse Climate Change by the Way We Grow Food, has information about the research and studies showing the impacts of how we grow and process food is ruining our environment.
After laying out the research, she provides some concrete steps we can all take to improve the situation and also your health
What can you do to help mitigate climate change?
- Grow or buy local
- Buy organic
- Reduce food waste — 50 percent of food produced in America is wasted
- Eliminate industrial meat, dairy and eggs from your diet and reduce overall consumption of animal products and if choosing to eat meat, seek out 100 percent grassfed products.
- Protect local agricultural land from land grabs and wasteful development
What will this do for you?
- Reduce your consumption of and exposure to chemicals
- Reduce your carbon footprint
- Increase your health — a diet rich in plant-based foods can help reverse diseases can reduce the risk of health problems such as Type II diabetes, heart disease,and high cholesterol whereas meat and dairy can increase these risks
- Increase your food security by supporting your regional foodshed.
Reading Elizabeth’s bio, I found out she was an Executive Producer for the documentary GMO OMG. Here’s the trailer. I can’t wait to see this.